Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Good ole' Alma

So I am super happy to be back in Nashville for a short period of time but I do have a few residual New York posts...

While in NYC, the US-2s were housed at Alma Matthews House - which is a private residence owned by the United Methodist Church. It is used mainly by the GBGM, UMCOR, and Woman's Divisions as a place to house visitors -guests, and staff persons who don't live in New York - on a temporary basis.

Here is a picture of Alma Matthews:



Alma (Ma for short) bequested the double brownstone to the United Methodist Church when she passed. She originally opened the house as a sort of halfway house for woman immigrants many years ago. Ma was a good lady who wanted to help these newcomers to America adjust better to the changes of culture, including dress, hygiene, job training, etc. I think this is all correct.

It is a really nice place to live for a month. I'm sure if put on the market today it would cost a pretty penny.

One of the craziest things about Ma's house was the picture you just saw. Her eye would follow you if you were near that picture. One day someone broke a chair and Ma was grimacing at him just as if it were her chair. I'm certain that the picture is really just like the pictures in Hogwarts, only Ma can't let us Muggles see any of the actual movement. Well, I guess I should say she shouldn't let us see..

One day, while minding my own business, I was sitting in the room where the picture was reading. All of a sudden, Alma was nearly on top of me trying to make out with me! I don't know if she cared that I was a muggle or what but obviously I was too much temptation to keep her little secret any longer.

I have a security camera still-shot as proof since I knew no one would believe me:



See! I told you!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I told you not to let my secret get out...a gentleman should never kiss and tell. That's what I used to tell those immigrant women...

10:37 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

haha...it looks more like you are going after her than the other way around...?

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home