Sunday, October 15, 2006

A Patriot Act

I have a renewed sense of nationalism after a very patriotic act that I performed a couple of days ago. Actually, I performed the most patriotic act for the first time a couple days ago. I voted. Absentee. So, I made my mark on Nashville and Tennessee from afar, even though those two fine places can't claim me for the next two years as a resident.

I sent in a letter about a month ago to register to vote absentee. Early in the week I received my ballot and filled it out the very same day. I wanted my vote to get back in Nashville on time to count. You know, first time jitters.



Actually, I shouldn't have first time jitters as I have voted before. In person even. But, two months after the 2004 presidential election I received notice that my vote didn't count. They said that I wasn't properly registered or some bologna like that. Anyways, the same day I received that notice I registered to vote. So, technically this is my first time to vote, even though in actuality it's not.

I must say...I'm glad that I am voting absentee for this election. The ballot was huge...both sides full of writing. For my county there were about 10 amendment initiatives to vote on. I would have gotten flustered inside the voting curtains had I had to read all of these amendments. Even more flustered if it was busy when i went to vote and people were waiting on me. I probably would have frozen...similar to the urinal stage fright freezing that happens every now and then in busy bathrooms.



This renewed sense of nationalism really came through when I was preparing to put the ballot back in the mailbox to send to Nashville. I went to one of those Fed-ex type mailing places that is right down the street from where I work to mail it off, as I wanted the feel of actually sticking the envelope in the mail- being part of the process - than having a mail carrier take it out of the outbox in the lobby. The store was kind of crowded when I got there so I was able to talk a couple of ladies into singing the national anthem with me while I opened the mailbox. One man had brought a pair of cymbals to ship to his son in college and he unwrapped them just in time. "And the rocket's red glare (chhh (cymbal sound)) The bombs bursting in air (chhh) gave proof through the night....

The owner of the store even offered the flag he had flying outside to me, so I could wrap it around my shoulders as I placed the envelope in the mailbox, but of course, I didn't want to desecrate the flag so I thanked him and said no.




I encourage everyone to vote. Renew your nationalism. Be a Patriot.

This is Adam Burgett, and I approve this message.

4 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

Adam, You had me laughing out loud in the office with this one. I'm also going to forward it to my college roommates because they made fun of me for taking my picture with my absentee presidential ballot. I applaude your sense of patriotism. Margaret.

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are the funniest man ALIVE! Please oh please oh please write a book Adam! hahaha - you always crack me up!
Miss you! See ya around Christmas!
Have a wonderful week!

10:27 AM  
Blogger Tyler said...

Here's to you Mr. Patriotic absentee voter man. it's people like you who...this isn't going anywhere. peace.

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adam,

I really enjoy your blog and the pictures you put up at flickr were awesome. Thanks for sharing all you are doing and seeing with us.

Sandy

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home