Sunday, September 24, 2006

Attack of the Giant Dust Particles

When I signed on to help out at Christ UMC youth, I knew that the time of the meetings would keep me from watching some of my favorite shows. But, I've since found out that Crossing Jordan is in a new time slot on Friday, Law and Order CI is on Tuesdays I think, and Grey's Anatomy is on Thursday. So, it turned out that the only show I would miss is Extreme Makeover - Home Edition.



Since the Lock-in last night wiped me out, I stayed home from church to rest. In the midst of my rest I watch Extreme Makeover - Home Edition. Watching it again for the first time in a while I realized that I would not miss this show at all.

It's not as if I don't like the show. It is really good. Entertaining, sentimental, good stories, etc. It's just that whenever I watch the show my allergies act up, mixing with GIANT dust particles floating around (mysteriously I never see these GIANT dust particles except during this show), and make my eye's water for the majority of the show.

Take tonights episode for example. It was a two-hour special premiere episode. I would say that for about 1.5 hours of the 2 hours my eyes were under attack.

After this aerial assault, which coincidentally stopped with the ending of Extreme Makeover, I realized that though I will miss getting to watch the show on a weekly basis, I won't miss the odd display of my emotions, er, dust particles.

I don't know why or exactly when it happened, but around two years ago I started crying. During movies, moving songs, some television shows...other things, I would sometimes find moisture coming out of my eyes. It was seemingly foreing to me...you know, I was a man. Men don't cry except at funerals and when they are young. Now, I cry. Especially during Extreme Makeover Home Edition. They just play with your emotions on that show.

At some points in this episode I would think that there was nothing that one of the people on the show could say or do and extract more tears from me. I was never right. Darn that Ty Pennington.

I hope that this sudden appearance of tears over the last couple of years doesn't make me less of a man. In that two years I have graduated to shaving twice a week instead of one, so if anything I would say I am more of a man now than I was before the tears started coming.

Oh, and just so you know, I haven't been using my ladies deodorant for two years, so the chemicals haven't been messing with my hormones. I guess I finally gave up on the macho thing...and plus, I'm pretty like a girl so I might as well act like them in certian movies and tv shows...

6 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

you can be a man and cry. i think that you can be tough and have emotions. i also think it is unhealthy if you don't.

i wanted to tell you that lauren and i talked about your blog at our midterm because of how awesome we think it is. i couldn't help but laugh every time i looked at the picture of alma. i just kept imagining her leaping out of the painting to make out with you. it was quality.

10:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Adam! It was great talking to you this weekend. I just wanted to let you know that I too was attacked by the giant dust particles during Extreme Home Makeover last night. :-) So, you're not alone! hahaha! Have a great week!
~~Sarah~~

12:56 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

Adam, being able to cry is what makes you a man, and not a beast.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Crying does make you a girl. Suck it up dude. (Just kidding) Hey, did you watch the season finale of Project Runway?? I thought of you and Margaret last night! :)

10:50 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

as if I needed to sound more like a girl...yes, I watched project runway...

7:24 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

So I am playing catch-up with reading your blog (and everyone elses!). I thought of you this Sunday when I watched Extreme Makeover because it was in TN--near your home! You probally did not see it, but I am sure a great deal of dust would have attacked you! Hope all is well.

peace and blessings

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home