Wednesday, October 04, 2006

What's the Deal?

Every morning I always read the Tennessean online - for those of you who don't know that is Nashville's newspaper. I read it mainly for the sports page, so I can keep up with my Commodores and Titans (though I am increasingly not caring as much about the Titans as I used to). However, every morning I do read the headlines on the front page and see if anything interests me.

You could all imagine my surprise when I saw this headline this morning:

Wednesday, 10/04/06
Nashville's 25 most beautiful
Honorees enjoy the lighter side of being on magazine's annual listing


How is this unknown to me? The gathering of the 25 most beautiful people in Nashville that is apparently an annual event and I had to hear about it in the newspaper after the fact? At first I thought "Oh,they have started a new contest in Nashville. Too bad I've been in Salt Lake for a while. That must be why I wasn't included in the article or invited to the gathering." But then, after more thought I realized that the headline mentioned the annual listing and event. This has been going on for some time and I never knew. I couldn't understand how I never knew. I could understand if the headline read:

Wednesday, 10/4/06
First Annual Gathering Honors Nashville's 25 Most Beautiful
Only persons living in Nashville for every day the last 5 months eligible for designation as one of most beautiful


But, the headline didn't read this. It read as the first headline - the real one.

I must admit, I'm a little offended. Not only was I not included in the magazines listing and gathering. I have never even received notice that I was a runner-up to that was almost included in the magazine. This implies that I have not even been nominated. How disturbing. I know that I haven't been nominated because I would have either been included in the magazine or been a runner-up if it ws a bad picture of me. I am certain that runner-up receive some sort of notice.

Working at an institution that works with people who don't normally have a voice I have realized that people sometimes slip through the cracks. However, I have never seen someone slip through the cracks as much as I have for however long this listing and event has taken place. I should be featured in this article. We should right this wrong that has been done to the Nashville Community.

4 Comments:

Blogger Matthew said...

Maybe we need to organize a grass roots, "Adam is Beautiful" campaign.

Of course you know, Adam, true beauty is on the inside. And you take a picture of that... it would be gross.

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, your Mom and I considered entering you in a beauty contest when you were a child. You know we thought you were very beautiful, don't you? In the end we decided baseball would be the better choice..

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good grief, Dad, thanks for going the baseball route. I don't think I could stomach telling people "When I was a kid I spent my weekends watching my brother compete in beauty pageants."

Adam, did you not get the notice from "The Tennessean"?...You are invited to your own special dinner for big guys with a tendency not to shave and to change their hair style every other month! Haha, just kidding. Love ya, Bro!

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a Gannett paper (The Tennessean that is)... you can't expect much from them. And I'm speaking from experience.

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home