Sunday, October 29, 2006

Further Observations

...about life in Salt Lake City...

~ It is casual out here. I just spoke at three services of one of the United Methodist Churches here near Salt Lake. I went in slacks, shirt, tie, and a really sweet sweater - you know, the sweet kind that have a zipper about a quarter of the way down in front? - as my Pa-Paw would say, I looked sharp. But, I was still afraid that I would be under-dressed, as I am used to everyone wearing a jacket to church, especially people who are speaking. I was the only one in the church with a tie. This is pretty indicative of all church services here...work too...it's just plain casual out west. Pretty nice.

~I am already dreading that I have to leave in about twenty-two months. Well, not really dreading leaving as much as dreading leaving behind fry sauce. I am already hooked.

~Snow covered mountains are very pretty. And they surround me. I am in the midst of constant beauty. I hear the mountains say the the same thing, well, ever since I moved out here.

~Everyone loves a southern accent. And in Nashville I don't even have one.

~ Nobody says ya'll.

~ Everyone tries to say ya'll after they hear you say it.

~It never works.

~A t-shirt and a pullover - my normal winter garb - isn't even heavy enough for the fall here.

~If you are at a fast-food restaurant, the first question you hear is "to stay or to go?" It throws me off every time. I'm used to hearing"For here or to go?" Honestly, little things get to me.

~I went to Temple Square a couple of weeks ago and saw the Tabernacle, which is closed until April for renovations. I then left and walked by this establishment:



It's funny because LDS members don't drink, or condone drinking, and this bar is just a play off of one of their central buildings and most famous entity - the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. I haven't been in there, but it cracks me up. I am intrigued by the duelin pianos so I will probably check it out before too long. It's just 5 blocks from Temple Square...pretty ballsy...

~My SEC bias isn't so well received when I'm not in the Southeast.

~Oriental Markets are super cheap compared to the Asian section of regular grocery stores. If you are interested in becoming an Iron Chef like me...visit one of these. I guess the things they sell are just staple items for most of their clientelle (sic?), not specialty items so they don't mark them up. Seriously, I got 3 bottles of sauce/seasoning, wonton wrappers, and egg roll wrappers for 7 dollars. I priced similar items in my normal grocery store and it cost 12 dollars. Highway robbery.

~Downy Wrinkle Releaser is very hard to find in Salt Lake. I went to about 10 different stores looking for it to no avail. I finally broke my Wal-Mart boycott to get some. I don't like to iron.

~My Wal-Mart boycott is mainly a convenience thing. Meaning, it's more convenient to not go. If I were still in Pulaski, TN it would be all Wal-Mart, all the time.

Well, these are tidbits of wisdom that I thought I would pass along in my ongoing effort to educate you.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whats fry sauce?

-Will

1:11 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Yea, what is fry sauce?

8:40 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Forget all the other stuff you educated us on, this is the big question!

8:41 AM  
Blogger gavin richardson said...

there can't be a pac 10 bias or mountain west bias there! they have to respect the sec!!

8:48 AM  
Blogger Matthew said...

As a westerner, I will say that living in TN has given me a new respect for the SEC. I will not forswear my allegiance to the Big XII however.

Adam, once the west gets into your soul the rest of the country just seems so small. Listen to the mountains... I'm serious.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Dueling piano bars are awesome. What is fry sauce??

When I first moved to Kentucky I thought my "Florida winter coat" would suffice. HA! I barely made it through November. Good luck. :)

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home