Wednesday, August 30, 2006

What a day

Some of you might have seen or read that yesterday and today President George W. Bush, Condoleezza Rice, and Donald Rumsfeld are in Salt Lake City. Actually, Bush gets here in about two hours, but all three have had or will have speaking engagements in Salt Lake.

As you can imagine, there is much security downtown and outside of the hotel where they are staying. I went by a little earlier and there was a lot of Secret Service detail for blocks.

As you can also imagine there is much hype in the city because of these visitors. In all, there were/will be 7 official rallies taking place today.

The rallies are as follows :

1. Support the Troops Freedom Rally - a rally that is supporting the troops but protesting the war.
2. A Presidential welcoming party and appreciation rally - a group of about 3,000 people meeting the president at the airport to say "Thanks, and Welcome!"
3. A war protest in Washington Park - a war protest in the heart of downtown at the City/County building (yes, the same building where I saw the Pro-Polygamy Rally! speaking of, has anyone looked at all of the comments I got from that post lately...crazy, and one guy seems a little belligerent...) OH - a note about this rally - the Mayor of Salt Lake City spoke at this rally. Last year he introduced George Bush at one event, then went across town and spoke at an anti-war rally. Kinda weird and somewhat humorous.
4. A Call for Immigration Reform Rally - self explanatory...though, I guess the others have been too
5. An anti-Israel demonstration - I think some Anti-Semites heard the city was giving out a lot of demonstration permits so they pounced...I see little relevance to the government officials being here and "Death to Israel" (as the protest is officially titled), well, I guess I see some relevance in the last couple months, but I still think it's a stupid, intolerant rally. And I hate intolerance - that and the Dutch. Ha! (I don't really hate the Dutch. I can't hate a people when I have no idea where they hail from.)
6. A rock concert/ protest of war. - There is a cover band doing U2 songs and other old protest/rally cries.
7. Another Pro-Bush rally - to show support to our leader.

I know everyone has their own opinion about the administration, I do, but I won't say it aloud and I definitely didn't go to any rallies. I just found it interesting that by tomorrow, over 12000 people will have been at one of the rallies today.



The above picture is of one of the rallies, I don't know which one...I took it from the Salt Lake Tribune's website.

Sorry my posts have been really long here lately...I hope people are getting through them!

1 Comments:

Blogger Matthew said...

Who know Salt Lake was such a political hot-bed.

And your posts are not too long. Keep up the good work.

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home