Sunday, August 13, 2006

My South

For a large part I have tried to downplay the fact that I am from the South. When someone asks where I am from I make sure to mention Nashville - as if it isn't really part of the south. My drawl/accent/ twang isn't too strong (through practice and will), and I shun anything that might be the least redneck. When taking a test to see how redneck you are, I was 51 percent yankee and 49 percent redneck...something like that(I don't remember the exact numbers). I remember being kind of happy that I was less redneck than yankee...i'm not sure why.

However, since I am about to leave the south for an extended period of time, and since I did just spend a month away from the south, I know there are several things that I shall miss greatly. These are things that I probably won't have in Utah and definitely didn't have in New York. If your name isn't on here please notice that nobody's name is on here...this is a list of things and ideals.



1. Sweet Tea - this is a biggie as I am lazy and will not sweeten my own tea in restaurants. Luckily, I will be so poor that I'll order water whenever I go out.



2. The ability to be able to call every soft drink "coke". This was a hot topic of debate between the US-2's, some of who said "pop," others who said "soda," and us correct people who said "coke." I have been told that Utah uses the term "pop." I refuse to say "pop."

3. SEC football. It's the best - though I won't really miss the poor coverage that Jefferson Pilot provides.

4. Ya'll. I will continue to use it until I get beat up enough I am broken of the habit.

5. My southern food. My food doesn't have to be pretty...but there sure needs to be a lot of it.

I'm sure there are a lot of other things I will miss but these are the five that I can remember easily. I hope I can hold on to some of them...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

SEC football is the best!!! Too bad Jefferson Pilot (now Lincoln Financial) provides the worst coverage and graphics for football EVER!!! And if you come back home saying "pop", I'll try my darndest to take you down! Have fun and be safe bro!

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For real... if you ever say the word "pop" in refering to a carbonated beverage... well, let's just say that nothing good will come of the situation. Love you!

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's wrong with Pop??? Were you secretly making fun of me all those years ago before I converted?

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey tell you what, you can continue to call it "coke" and I will call it "pop" and when we put it all together it will even itself out. I hope that things are going well in Utah. Talk to you later.

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home