Thursday, August 24, 2006

Goodbye Pluto...

So, I am not sure if there have been more recent developments, but the last I heard the status of Pluto as a planet is in limbo. In honor, or possibly memory, of Pluto, I have developed a list of my favorite memories of Pluto.

1. Learning about it in 6th and 7th grade.

2. Thats all...no memories...



But, since my new work title does have the word "advocate" in it I will use all of my authority to advocate for Pluto. We need Pluto as a planet in our solar system - if not for reasons of diversity (it is the dwarf planet) - then for balance. There is power in the number nine - as in nine planets (for now), the nine monks in Buddhist ritual, nine being the highest single-digit number and thus symbolizing completeness in the Bahai faith, the nine powerful muses in Greek mythology, nine innings in baseball, and a hit television show that has nine deep spaces...though I forget the name of the show...Anyways, we need this power that the number nine offers and symbolizes in our solar system. We need nine planets!

Perhaps the most important, powerful reason for needing nine planets is because of the completeness of the old saying we all learned in 6th or 7th grade.

My Very Excellent Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas

With that sentence, and my eyes are watering just a little, all of my favorite memories of Pluto come flooding back. My eyes are also watering a little thinking about the possibility of my excellent mother not knowing what she is serving us nine of. Without Pluto my very excellent mother would just be serving us nine. That is tragic...

How will kids learn the order of the planets from the sun out using an incomplete sentence?

As an advocate, I urge you all to write your local International Astronomical Union and ask them to keep Pluto a planet. Do it for the children...

4 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

you totally win at awesome blog posts.

10:11 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Though I compleltely agree...we are both a bit late...the vote came yesterday and now Pluto is not a full fledge planet, only a dwarf planet, along with so many others. I do have to say you forgot one very important role the plant Pluto has played...the name sake of the best dog every--Mickey's dog, Pluto! Thanks for making me smile!

8:08 AM  
Blogger Matthew said...

Pluto has been marginalized!

Quick form a advocacy group.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Laurel Kornfeld said...

Pluto IS still a planet. The vote that took place in August 2006 included only four percent of the IAU, most of whom are not planetary scientists. No electronic voting was allowed, meaning any members not in the room on the last day of the two-week conference had no say in the matter. The definition adopted makes no linguistic sense, as it states that "dwarf planets" are not planets at all. It was immediately opposed by over 300 professional astronomers, led by Dr. Alan Stern, Principal Investigator of NASA's New Horizons mission to Pluto. The debate is not over and is likely to be reopened at the IAU General Assembly in 2009. Meanwhile, please continue to keep advocating for the reinstatement of Pluto's planet status. You can find more information on my blog at http://laurele.livejournal.com

12:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home