Sunday, August 20, 2006

Haha...Yes!

So yesterday (Saturday) I went out on a voyage to discover things about downtown Salt Lake...like, where I could purchase a Nalgene bottle and things of that nature. I had originally planned to go to the library to use wireless internet, get a few dvds to watch (as I don't have a tv yet, the computer and dvds are my entertainment) and maybe check out a couple books. When I arrived to the library I figured since I was downtown already and had nothing but time, I would walk around and try to find a mall or a camping store at least.

Right next to the Library is a Government building and as I was walking by it I noticed that there was something going on at the building's steps. As I approached I heard a band playing and saw picket signs. I guessed that it was some sort of political rally or protest so I decided to further investigate. When I arrived I saw a man with a couple cameras and, figuring he was with one of the newspapers, asked him what was taking place. Do you know what his answer was? The rally that was taking place was a PRO-POLYGAMY RALLY!!!



My reply to this was hahaha....yes! This reply drew an awkward reaction from the journalist. To ease the tension I simply turned around and walked away, pulling out my camera so I could prove to everyone that this is a true story. I took about 25 pictures and I think some people thought I was with the press.

At the rally there were two bands. Each band was a family band - where all of the members shared a father but not a mother. Instead of saying they were from the same family, they always said they were from the same community. I didn't get any good pictures of the bands though...

Also, they had between 10 and 15 young people, ranging from ages 12 to 23 talking about what it meant for them to grow up in a polygamous household/community. All of them were very positive and a couple mentioned that they couldn't wait to start a polygamous family of their own.



All in all there were probably 200 people there, so I am guessing there were 4 families there (pause for laughter), as I saw way more young people than parental looking people. However, I don't know how young people in this realm of society are accustomed to marrying. There were also several 15 passenger vans that families were scurrying to at the conclusion of the rally. Ha!

So...before I came to Salt Lake I joked, you joked, everyone joked about me coming back with 10 wives. However, I was not aware that there were people who still practiced polygamy. Apparently there are, and apparently they are ballsy enough to have a rally outside of a governmental building even though their lifestyle is not condoned. One thing I learned at the rally is that I no longer want to be a polygamist, er, even joking that is (I never really wanted to). You wanna know why? Because I'm afraid that all of my wifes will look similar - like this guy's:



Well, yesterday was my first Saturday in Salt Lake City and I'm sure one of the more interesting ones that I will have here in my two years. I did eventually find a water bottle, check out books and dvds, and return home to watch said dvds and read said books. The best part of the day, though, was the free snow cone I was given at the polygamist rally!

20 Comments:

Blogger valerie said...

I am so glad that you had a good day yesterday! And that you got to see a different culture (as different as it is!!) I am looking forward to reading your blogs -- because i laugh out loud when i read them!!

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your thoughts on this event, and for the pictures. I'm one of the organizers of the rally; it was entertaining to read comments from a passerby. Glad you enjoyed the sno cone!

7:07 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

ah yes. soon you will be blessed in awesome ways too. i've really enjoyed reading your posts so far and look forward to reading them in the future. the beginning is a fun time filled with some awesome experiences. i'm glad i'll have some others to hear from.

12:19 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Wow - what a true Salt Lake experience!! Keep the stories coming! And I can't wait to hear about your ministry as it gets underway!

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice story adam. i'm curious, what flavor of snowcone?

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice story adam. i'm curious, what flavor of snowcone?

4:58 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

Blue-raspberry and grape mixed together....it was awesome!

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not all of your wives would look the same. All you need to do is turn those gals around and see their lovely faces--no two alike! Thanks for the chuckle. I enjoyed chatting with you at the rally.

12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seen you at the rally and I knew you were just someone wanting to know what was going on. Glad you enjoyed your snowcone and noticing all of the girls looked practically the same(hahahahah) none of them do by the way. Thanks for thr blog

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEY there! I was at the rally and not one of those girls look the same. They are all different looking! Glad you enjoyed it though. The snow cones were awesome, weren't they?

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there mister,
*I* am one of those girls who were at that rally n you can kinda see me in one of yer pics lol BUT yeah, we SO dont look the same...gosh!! That's not even how we dress like for everyday...we just wanted to wear our "sunday best" if you will. we buy denim skirts at the mall (short and long) and we wear normal tops from stores around...so there:ppp glad ya had a good time though:) I sure did...it was awesome to defend a religion that most think is disgusting n wrong yet SO MANY people love!!

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude,you totally should have grabbed someones sign and ran. seriously! it could be hanging in my room right now!



so you think that those anonymous people are all the same?

(insert polygamy joke here),
Susanna

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
Hey I was at the rally too and no we all don't look the same. But hey I saw you too, glad you had a good time though. But just for your information you shouldn't judge people because they dress different than you.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

Once again leave it to me to straighten everything out. I enjoyed the rally - I learned a lot about something I knew nothing about...it even piqued my interest so much I have done some research to learn more about the issue. Just for informational purposes, but still very interesting.

I didn't say all girls in the practice look the same...I said similar (there is a big difference)- and more said that for humor. And if nothing else I am humorous. But, pictures don't lie and there were some major similarities there!

And I won't /can't post all of the pictures because I don't have the time/ desire for clog my blog (me=poet) with 25-30 pictures.

Thanks for reading and sorry if I offended! Not my intentions at all. I love everyone!

8:09 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

Dude,
never apologize to people who won't claim their posts. You rock.

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Adam,
That's actually awesome that you are interested to do some research on this religion!! You didnt offend me, I actually can see how someone who didn't know us or anything would think we looked kinda alike...(we dont though lol) but think of it this way....other girls in blue jeans/dif colored tops on and all of em with their hair down n stuff like that...THEY look similiar in the way they are too. So yeah, it's pretty much all good...I mean, people of dif religions ARE gonna look like the religion they belong to, hence.... Muslims, Jews, Mormons, Baptists..etc! I'm glad you're not predudice with people...keep up yer blog...it's fun to read!:)

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAY DUDE,
I SAW YOU AT THE RALLY, YEA I THOUGHT YOU WERE A REPORTER WITH THE EXCEPTION YOU ASKED SOME STUPID QUESTIONS THAT DIDN'T SOUND PROFESIONAL. SO YEA, BUT IT WAS FUN TO READ YOUR BLOG AND THE COMMENTS YOU GOT AFTER. I LOVED THE ONE FROM FRED!

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is strange to me how many people didn't know about poligamests. Hell-o! Look around, most religons have a belief in poligamy. The Mormons, Muzlams,and even the Christons, ALL THE NUNS THAT THINK THEY ARE GOING TO MARRY JESUS!So if poligamy is not the way to live there are going to be some disappointed Nuns, Don't you think?

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adam:

You neglected to tell everyone that you love all of your Moms, too...

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMAO! haha I like that one "Dad" lol...yeah Adam, whats yer problem?? not tellin yer moms you love em ALL...heck, be nice to em more often...be their lil son and make em all proud of you lol

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home