Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Getting to work

The last two days at work have been my first at Crossroads Urban Center. So far I think I like it, though I need to sit down and process all that I have learned...

A lot of work goes on at Crossroads that tries to help people in general, but especially those who would be considered the least of these. Today there was a demonstration at the City and County building which is downtown. This wasn't a very confrontational demonstration, rather it was simply an informational thing to show how much Utah needs a state or federal supported healthcare program.


I, along with several other Crossroads staff members, board members, advocates, and team members drew 132 chalk outlines on the sidewalks of the building (with their permission of course). Many of the local politicians came out an had their bodies outlined, several of whom I got a chance to talk to. One of those, Pete Ashdown - who is running for US Senator in the coming election, gave me a ticket to the local AAA baseball game on Thursday night. That was pretty sweet. He was a nice guy, though I think he might be anorexic. Actually, I take that back because his "people" might read this and take offense. He is just really skinny - not even relative to me - just really skinny period.

There were many press people from different newspapers and television stations there too, so a picture of me might show up in some paper or I may be roaming around in the background of a television interview. Also, I guess I am destined to be on Univision, as they were there too (with a really, really good looking camerawoman). I can still see me in Time's Square "Viva la Univision." If only I didn't chicken out...

All in all I was pretty worried about today's events when I heard about them, and particularly my involvement in them, last week. I was worried because it seemed much more confrontational than anything I had done in my life thus far. However, it wasn't confrontational at all. Everyone was very supportive of the demonstration, even the politicians, as it brought to attention an issue that needs attention - healthcare. Or lack thereof...

2 Comments:

Blogger valerie said...

See I told you it would be a learning experience!

12:12 AM  
Blogger Matthew said...

Admit it Adam, you're really a leftist radical at heart!

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home