Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Airport Observations

Here are some of my discoveries that were made in the airport on my recent trip to New Jersey...

~ You can arrive at the airport too early. And by too early I mean before the airline is even open for check-in. I had to wait thirty minutes just to let me check in. Then another 2 hours to board. Long morning...

~ The airport workers get really pissed off when they think you are trying to sneak gels and liquids on the plane. I usually check my baggage so I didn't think about having my dop kit in my carry on luggage. So, when the guy asked if I had any liquids or gels I said no...

I got taken into a special room because of all of my gels and such...many of which were taken because they were too big. They didn't believe that I accidentally lied. Jerks. On the bright side I got to keep my shaving cream, which ran out while I was in NJ. Mind you, it ran out after I had half of my face lathered...

~ Tolietries are expensive to replace in the airport.

~ The airport has vacuums that you can ride...like a riding lawn mower, except a vacuum. I think that is awesome. I almost asked if I could try...

~ There were two soldiers on their way to Iraq on my fligth from SLC to Atlanta. Both of them had brought their family to the airport. One of them was about 45 or so, so he had with him his 5 or 6 kids (it is Utah...), his wife, a woman I supposed was his sister, and his parents. It was quite sad to see them all cry when he was boarding, not knowing if they would ever see him again.

The second soldier was a kid who looked like he was still in high school, though I'm sure he was a recent graduate. He had with him his sister, mom, dad, and grandmother. They arrived to the gate around the same time as I did, so i was able to watch one of his family member's excuse his or herself, go to the restroom, and come back with red eyes. The mom did this several times in the course of the 2 hour wait to board. The young soldier had a stare that never left his face. At first I thought the stare was that "10 mile stare" I had heard soldiers have - where they are recreating images of war in their head, like a living nightmare. I later found out (by eavesdropping) that he had yet to go to Iraq. His stare could have been borne from fear or realization.

I couldn't help but get a little misty watching these two scenes. I was some merely an idle witness who is unsure about the war that they are being thrust into - one for the first time, the other a seasoned veteran, but neither certain to return. I hope they can both return safely to their family. Sooner rather than later.

~ On the plane on my return home I was mentioning these two soldiers to the friendly man with whom I was sharing a seat. He mentioned to me that his brother had been killed about a year ago in Iraq, and that his cousin had returned home safely but was not the same. He mentioned that his cousin used to be a really outgoing guy, but now he rarely spoke to anyone. He said that his Aunt and Uncle had to make him eat, shower, and do other things that most able-bodied adults have done since their childhood. Things that he used to do on his own. He even mentioned that occasionally his cousin would break in to tyrannical shouting episodes followed by moments of sheer terror and hours of tears.

It seems to me that every casualty of this war will not be written about in the newspapers' soldier death tolls. Not all of the casualties will have the luxury of being killed.

My soul hurts when I think of a troop surge. My heart cries when I think of the families, soldiers, and civilians who are suffering because of this war. I long for peace.

3 Comments:

Blogger Matthew said...

Adam, Thank you for sharing your thoughts and observations on this. I too long for peace, and pray for God's wisdom to prevail in the face decisions made by our leaders that appear to be so unwise, short-sighted, and self-serving.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Adam, I think that this may be your best, most honest, heart-filled post yet. Thank you for sharing the glimpse into your longing for peace. We are all praying for peace - and let us be praying not only for our own soliders families, but for all families effected by war. Thanks again for sharing.

1:32 PM  
Blogger gavin richardson said...

riding vacuums, how cool!

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home