Sunday, September 17, 2006

Hilarious book


In New York, while we were training, the US-2 class had a great idea to start a book club, where we (the ones who chose to read) would all read the same book each month. The first book suggested was Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore.

I started the book in August because I was lonely, even though we weren't scheduled to read it until September. Because of my cheating, I have been done with the book for a long time and haven't been able to talk about it with anyone. I have posted on our book club's blog but no one has answered...so, I will tell you all about it.

First off, the book is as it's title suggests...an authors (hilarious) guess at what Jesus' childhood/adolescence/teen years/young adult years would have been like. It is a big stretch historically speaking, as the author claims, but is written as a (hilarious) novel. Have I mentioned that it is hilarious?

I would love to suggest this book to everyone because I liked it so much, but there is quite a bit of language and sex in the book. No, Jesus doesn't curse or have sex...or does he? You will have to read to find out. But I'm not suggesting this book. I wouldn't want anyone getting offended by what they read and then blame me because I suggested it. But if I were you I would read it. But I'm not endorsing it.

Biff, Jesus' childhood pal, is the narrator of the book and a source of most of the humor. Jesus does have some laugh out loud lines though. Here is one of them:

First off, let me say that this takes place right after Jesus' turns the water into wine at the wedding in Cana and right before he passed out and was carried home by a camel.

Joshua (Biff uses the English version of Jesus' name, you know, Yeshua-Jesus-Joshua) stumbled through the gate and crashed into us. We were able to catch ourselves and him before anyone fell. The Messiah was holding (a) little girl's pet bunny, hugging it to his cheek with the big back feet swinging free. He was gloriously drunk. "Know what?" Josh (Jesus again...you'll catch on) said. "I love bunnies. They toil not, neither do they bark. Henceforth and from now on, I decree that whenever something bad happens to me, there shall be bunnies around. So it shall be written. Go ahead Biff, right it down." He waved to me under the bunny, then turned and started back through the gate. "Where's the friggin' wine? I got a dry bunny over here!"

See! Hilarious! Get it...Easter Bunnies...hahahaha. This was one of the many, many times I laughed out loud in this book.

Everyone should read this book...this novel. But I'm not recommending it...

1 Comments:

Blogger valerie said...

not fair...I have been waiting and waiting to read the book. anyway, I didn't get any notification from the book blog, but glad to see you enjoyed the book. maybe you should choose another and then we can all start!

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home