Sunday, November 26, 2006

Utes vs. Cougars

Yesterday (Saturday) I went to the BYU and University of Utah football game. I must admit up front, though it wasn't an SEC game, it was probably the best game I have ever been present for, and one of the three or four best games I have ever seen.

I also better admit up front that again, like last game, I had nothing at stake in the game and could really care less about the outcome of the game. With that being said, I must say that I did a darn good job cheering the Utah Utes on.

My friend is a grad student at the U (what us locals call the university of Utah - like how I called myself a local?) so she got the tickets and I went with her and some of her friends. It was a great day for a game, pretty cold, but a nice day for a huge rivalry game.

Our seats were in a section that was dominated by BYU fans, which made it even more fun to yell for Utah, even though I didn't care too much. The lady that sat right be hind me, well, we stood the entire game, so the lady who stood right behind me screamed after every play that was halfway decent for BYU. When I say screamed, picture the worst sound you can imagine and times it by 57. It was horrible, especially the first quarter when BYU dominated. I got in the habit of shaking my pompom they gave me right over my head, hoping to smack her in her face, so she would be forced to back up and not be right in my ear.

The same lady also called the BYU players by their first name in an annoying manner. My friends had a good time with this. She had to feel bad by the end of the game.

Well, she had to have low self esteem. BYU won with no time left on the clock, so she had to be feeling pretty good for that.

The ending was what made the game so good for me (an indifferent observer who just wanted to see a great game) and BYU fans. It had to stink for Ute fans. Utah had been manhandled in the first quarter, but then really owned the rest of the game. With very little time left BYU drove down the field and then on the last play, with 3.6 left before the snap, had an amazing qb scramble and pass to a man who had been left wide open in the end zone after the scramble. Great game.

All in all it was a fun day. It is an intense rivalries..plenty of bad words spoken about the other team. By each team. There were even a couple of fights - something I never expected to see at a game where one of the teams is the school of the LDS Church. But, there were so that was awesome. Below I have a picture of my ticket stub and pompom. Notice how the writing on the pompom is a little worn off. That is from my vigorous cheering.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

vigorous cheering, or vigorous hand-sweating? i'm betting a little of both.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

no vigorous hand sweating that day...it was coooold!

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home